South Africa’s High Commission in Mozambique has tracked 43 South Africans affected by the recent attacks in Palma, in the north of the country.
These include two men who escaped the invasion, by IS-linked militias, by fleeing into the bush. They were later rescued by helicopters.
Their relative, Adrian Nel, was killed in the onslaught.
The International Relations and Cooperation Department says the South Africans were in the area known as Afungi. Some of them are already back home, whilst others have been moved to safer areas within Mozambique.
The High Commission based in Maputo will continue its track-and-trace process to determine whether there are any more South Africans who may have been affected.
The United Nations has condemned the attacks, describing them as heinous acts of violence.
Spokesperson to Secretary-General, Stephane Dujarric, says the UN is concerned about the insurgency, which seems to still be evolving.
South Africa’s Ambassador to Mozambique Siphiwe Nyanda weighs in:
Adrian Nel (40) was killed on Friday while in a getaway vehicle with his brother and father, leaving the Amarula Lodge Hotel.
His mother, Meryl Knox, says the family had been in the area for work:
Meanwhile, the 21-year-old South African who went missing after the attack in Palma has been found. According to his mother, he is tired but healthy.
The Human Rights Watch (HRW) believes the Palma attacks indicate that authorities have been underprepared and given insufficient priority to the incidents.
The organisation’s Southern Africa Director Dewa Mavhinga spoke to SABC News: