Thirty-six at the Ballito Rage Festival are confirmed to have tested positive for COVID-19. The festival kicked off on Tuesday but was cancelled on Wednesday morning by festival organisers.

Organisers had previously stated that only vaccinated individuals would be allowed to attend but in an about-turn cancelled the event just a day in.

Last year’s festival was labelled a super spreader event after several attendees tested positive for COVID-19.

Prior to cancellation, Sandras outlined safety precautions that were in place: 

A spokesperson for the event organisers, Darren Sandras, says the Health Department is currently conducting contact tracing.

“We take the safety of our customers and staff very seriously, it is for that reason that the organisers have taken the decision to cancel the remainder of the Ballito Rage. Unprecedented protocol was in place for COVID-19 including managing vaccination for all guests and staff, pre-arrival test for COVID-19 for all guest testing facility was set up and testing commenced on site on the 29th of November. 122 staff tested with zero presented positive yesterday 30th of November.

All the remaining staff and guests arrived and underwent COVID-19 testing before entering the event this was a total of 940 across guests and staff of 32 guests and four staff presented positive the Department of Health was on-site and worked to conduct contact tracing.”

Festival organisers says ticket holders will receive further information in the coming days via email.