CEO of the South African Pork Producers Organisation, Johann Kotze, says when the Health Minister said avoid all cold meats, the consumers perceived that all cold meats are pork and distanced themselves from pork.
The South African Meat Processors Association says the pork industry has lost R800 million since the Minister of Health announced the source of the Listeria outbreak on March 4.
South African Pork Producers Organisation says that 2 000 employees in the pork industry have lost their jobs since the announcement last month.
The organisation also stated that Enterprise is responsible for a small percentage of production in the industry, but the announcement caused unnecessary panic over all processed cold cuts and polony.
“With quite a strong brand like Enterprise in South Africa, the moment there is an issue on the brand, people retract themselves from the product and as a result, we experience a massive decrease in volumes selling.”
Click below to watch the full interview:
Click below to watch related videos: