An ambitious push by African countries to secure UN financing for future peace operations is facing strong resistance from the United States, which has put forward conditions for the funding, according to documents seen by AFP on Wednesday.

Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea and Ivory Coast the three African members of the Security Council have presented a draft resolution that would allow United Nations (UN) financing for African peace missions on a case-by-case basis.

France and China strongly back the initiative that would provide the African Union with a major influx of funds and strengthen its response to conflicts on the continent.

But the United States (US) on Wednesday put forward proposals in negotiations on the draft resolution, including one that would cap UN financing at 75% if the African Union can show that it can provide the remaining 25% of the overall costs.

In a note sent to the council and seen by AFP, the United States outlined 11 conditions for the financing, dealing a setback to African diplomats who had hoped for a vote on the draft Security Council resolution this week.

Negotiations intensified on Thursday with a view to reaching agreement on a text that could be put to a vote, possibly next week, diplomats said.

UN peacekeeping is already tightly focused on Africa, with half the 14 missions deployed on the continent, including the five biggest operations.

African countries provide nearly half of the UN peacekeepers deployed worldwide.