“It was very scary, we were running in all direction, the water was full of snakes,” recalls 39-year-old Otelea Jose after arriving from one of the areas worst hit by southern Africa’s deadly cyclone.
A cyclone that ravaged three southern African countries last week has killed at least 350 people, affected more than 1.7 million others and left 15,000 people still stranded by floods, according to estimates Thursday.
At least 115 people were killed in Mozambique, Malawi and South Africa after heavy rains affected 843,000 people across southeast Africa, officials and the UN said, prompting calls for emergency aid.
Zambian authorities on Sunday said they had arrested three Chinese nationals and two locals found carrying pieces of rhino horn at the border with Mozambique.
The International Monetary Fund said on Friday it held talks with Zambian authorities over the possibility of an aid programme.