The Libyan National Army force allied to a parallel government in the east has launched an offensive but has been unable to breach the southern defenses of the city.
Forces loyal to Libya’s unity government announced Saturday a counter-attack against military strongman Khalifa Haftar’s fighters, as clashes south of the capital Tripoli intensified.
A British-drafted resolution presented to the UN Security Council demands an immediate ceasefire in Libya after forces loyal to warlord Khalifa Haftar launched an offensive on Tripoli, according to the text obtained by AFP on Tuesday.
Fighting near Tripoli has killed 121 people and wounded 561 since strongman Khalifa Haftar launched an offensive earlier this month to take the Libyan capital, the World Health Organization said on Sunday.
NATO is “deeply concerned” by the escalating violence in Libya, alliance chief Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday, calling on all sides to stop fighting as a deadly power struggle rages.