Congolese forces said on Saturday they had killed 25 Islamist rebels since launching an offensive against them late last month in an eastern region also struggling with an Ebola outbreak.
Since protesters forced veteran president Abdelaziz Bouteflika to quit in April, the standoff between them and the authorities has focused on new elections.
Defence Minister, Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula has commended the work done by the army on the Cape Flats.
Gauteng Premier, David Makhura, has warned that he will request that the army be deployed to areas plagued by xenophobic attacks and looting.
Western Cape Community Safety Minister Albert Fritz says it appears as if there is a push back by gangsters following the deployment of the army on the Cape Flats.