The South African Union of Students (SAUS) says it is prepared to call off the current shutdown of universities by this weekend. The organisation says it will wait for an announcement from Higher education Minister Naledi Pandor, following a meeting she held with them last week, before it does so.

SAUS President Meshack Mugabe says they want the Department of Higher Education to ensure that universities stop excluding deserving students because they cannot afford fees.

He was speaking during public hearings on the current crisis at universities called by the Portfolio Committee Higher Education and Training.

“We are willing to call off the shutdown. In fact after our meeting last week, some institutions went back to campuses. Maybe what we need to do is to say of course on Friday we are getting this written commitment on some of these issues and issues raised by the presentation raised by DHET – they are responding to some of the issues we have raised progressively so. If that written commitment is written by Friday we will quickly forward it to SRC’s on Saturday will call off the shutdown,” says Mugabe.