In a statement released on Tuesday the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) said that it  has noted media reports speculating that three members of the public broadcaster’s board have resigned. The SABC further said that the Presidency is the authority to comment on all board issues.

On the GCEO issue, the statement said, “The SABC can however confirm that its Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO), Madoda Mxakwe has not resigned and therefore speculations on his resignation are false.”

The new SABC Board was appointed by former President Jacob Zuma just over a year ago.

When board members resign, they send their resignation letters to the President who will accept or reject the resignation.

New Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams said after a meeting with the board last week, that its insistence on continuing with Section 189 retrenchments at the SABC, left her with no option but to desist from all engagements with the board.