The SABC has stressed that it’s News and Current Affairs division has not been involved in the paid for interview with Social Development Minister, Bathabile Dlamini that was broadcast last month on the Talk With Anele Show.

The public broadcaster has however conceded that it had failed to comply with its own editorial policies on the sponsorship of programmes when it decided to charge the Social Development department R149 000 for the interview.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago says there was a breakdown of internal controls and processes. He said it should have been clarified clearly in the beginning and at the end of the interview that the show had been sponsored.

Kganyago says the SABC will not be billing government for the interview. He also clarified the issue around the amount paid for the interview.

“People are talking about R500 000, but we’re talking R149 000. That money has not as yet been paid to the SABC. The Board has decided that we should not invoice for that because the SABC does not charge for interviews. We invoice people in cases where whatever we are dealing with is a campaign that they are working on – which is about exposing their policies and their programmes – that we charge.”

The SABC News and Current Affairs division has assured  members of the public that it adheres to journalistic principles and editorial independence.

In a statement issued on Friday, SABC refuted the allegations.



SABC MEDIA STATEMENT (Text)

For more click below: