Former Gauteng Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu will face further grilling on Wednesday morning after a day’s break in the Life Esidimeni Arbitration Hearings in Parktown, Johannesburg.

On Monday, Mahlangu said the decision to terminate the department’s contract with Life Esidimeni had been a cost cutting measure led by former Head of the Department Dr Barney Selebano.

One hundred and forty three mentally ill patients died after being transferred to various NGO’s.

Mahlangu told the hearings about the part played by Selebano and other department officials.

“Life Esidimeni, Selby Park had attracted negative comments from AG in that the contract had been renewed without following supply chain after year the HoD assisted with other officials developed the Life Esidimeni plan I am sure you’ve seen that implementation plan,” says Mahlangu.

Click here to watch video: