The Department of Basic Education has been lauded for ensuring incident free 2017 Matric examinations.
Quality assurance body, Umalusi, says the department’s efforts ensured that there were no systemic irregularities that would have compromised the integrity and credibility of Grade 12 final year examinations.
The results will be released next week Thursday in Johannesburg by Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga.
This year 802 630 part time and full time candidates sat for the examinations.
Umalusi’s board chairperson, Professor John Volmink says, “We require from each assessment body a report on irregularities and I am pleased to report that this year based on the evidence presented to Umalusi by the DBE that 2017 national senior certificate exams were largely incident free. We know that there were few disruptions, but on the scale they were very minor and those disruptions were experienced only in certain parts of the country.”
SABC Education launches the 2017 Matric Results service
SABC Education is again calling all South African matric students to register and receive their matric results through SMS or USSD lines. This service was created for matric students to receive results via SMS and USSD as soon as results are made available to the general public. The service is in partnership with the Department of Basic Education (DBE).
In 2016, more than +-300 000 students received results via the SABC Education SMS and USSD services. The Matric Results SMS and USSD lines will open for matric students from the 19th of December 2017 until 31 January 2018.
Learners will register to get results via SMS and USSD:
- The Learner will send an SMS to 35658
- The SMS will consist of the ID number and student number.
- The system verifies the ID number and the Exam number; both numbers must have 13 Digits in order to be accepted. The ID Number will also be subjected to an algorithm that identifies if the ID Number is a valid South African ID Number.
- The learners will be charged 50 per SMS, free SMSes do not apply
- The learners will dial *120*35658#, put in their ID number and Exam number to register, once the results are available, they will get their results per subject.
- USSD has what we call resume session function, where our system recognizes the number the next time the user dials the string. Meaning that it knows what the last question the learner answered was.
- The cost for USSD is 50 cents per 20 seconds
NB: The Department of Basic Education will announce the National Senior Certificate Examination on 04 January 2018. Once this has been done, students that are registered within SABC Education matric results database will receive their results on 05 January 2018.
SABC Education will continue to create awareness through TV and Radio promos to alert matric students on the use of SMS and USSD support services. SABC Education is again running a call-centre to address issues relating to registration process, registration confirmation and queries on results received.
Should the learners have queries, they can contact our call centre on 011 504 0008, Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm. However, on the day of the release, the call center will operate from 6am to 5pm.
SABC Education in partnership with the Department of Basic Education celebrates the launch of the Matric Results campaign to “Enriching Minds, Enriching Lives”. Former president Nelson Mandela once said that “Education is the most powerful weapon, which you can use to change the world.”