The strike by SABC workers has been called off. Labour union, Broadcasting, Electronic, Media & Allied Workers Union (Bemawu) has ordered its striking members to return to work with immediate effect.

The union says it will organise a meeting on Monday to give feedback to its members.

This follows the withdrawal of the strike notice by another union, the Communication Workers’ Union (CWU), earlier in the week. CWU says legal technicalities demanded the withdrawal.

Workers were demanding a 10 % salary increase – whilst the SABC was offering no increase because of the financial crisis.

Increases were supposed to take effect in April.

Acting SABC CEO, Nomsa Piliso says: “Bemawu has agreed to withdraw the strike and urge members to go back to work. On Monday we will all go back and revisit about when we starting to engage again.”

Earlier CWU president, Clyde Mervin said they were preparing to issue the SABC with a new strike certificate.

“There has been talks for the last couple of days, and out of the talks there’s nothing new which came… and the members have said as far as they are concerned they must now do it right and strike.”

“We also look at some political solutions, I think it’s about time that we drag in the new minister of communication, we’ll be talking to Cosatu but we can assure you is that our members are combat ready.”