Johannesburg Emergency Services have warned communities not to leave children unattended, especially in conditions where there is a fire risk.
Six children died in two separate fires in Johannesburg in recent days.
On Sunday four children aged three to seven burnt to death after their mothers allegedly locked them in a house in Alexandra to go partying.
On Monday, two children aged eight months and two years died when their shack caught fire while the mother was out doing laundry.
Johannesburg Emergency Services spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi says these types of fire tragedies are preventable.
“We just want to urge parents not to leave young children unattended because in most cases these young children are tempted to play around with heating devices like candles and paraffin stoves. They are also tempted to prepare food for themselves and this makes them vulnerable to fire incidents like we have seen lately where young children are losing their lives when they are left unattended.”