Mashatile probes ANC’s R100 million election posters deal
18 September 2019, 9:05 PM
The ANC’s Treasurer- General, Paul Mashatile has instituted an urgent investigation into a R100 million deal for election posters.
The party says in a statement that it was served with an invoice for the 35 000 posters.
The ANC says Mashatile was not aware of the transaction until the invoice was brought to his attention.
It says since Mashatile had not authorized the procurement – he has instituted the urgent probe.
A report will be released when the investigation is completed.
Watch video below:
NGOs yet to receive funds for GBV programmes
18 September 2019, 1:49 PM
Non-governmental organisations (NGOs) say they are still waiting to receive funding meant for programmes aimed at combating violence against women.
President Cyril Ramaphosa made the promise that government would make available funds to NGOs working to curb violence against women during a gender summit in 2018.
Organisations say they have raised this issue, however have not received funding.
Founder of the Tears Foundation Mara Glennie says, “We have obviously complained, because many of the services that are provided by the government are backed up by programmes such as ours and without us the whole system will collapse.”
Erasmus announces unchanged Springbok line-up for World Cup opener
18 September 2019, 11:00 AM
South African rugby coach, Rassie Erasmus, has announced an unchanged Springbok line-up for their World Cup opener against New Zealand in Yokohama on Saturday.
“You have to commend all the guys that have been involved with Rassie in preparing us for this World Cup. The way that we took on the Rugby Championship this year, the test we played last year; it really is a special group of people that are willing to produce the highest level of input into our system possible in order for us to play the best game of rugby.”
Click on the related video below:
Gauteng govt confident about NPA probe into Life Esidimeni tragedy
18 September 2019, 10:01 AM
The Gauteng Provincial Government has voiced its confidence in the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in its attempts to probe the Life Esidimeni tragedy.
This after the NPA referred the Life Esidimeni docket for a formal inquest before a judge in the High Court in Pretoria.
It comes three years after the Esidimeni tragedy in which 144 people died. Many of them died of starvation and neglect after the Gauteng Health Department cancelled their contract with Life Esidimeni, resulting in thousands of patients being transferred to facilities that were not licensed.
In a statement, the NPA says the evidence at their disposal is not enough.
“As the Gauteng Provincial Government, we continue to be confident that the NPA will do what they have to do. The matter has been referred to them following their investigation into the matter and we believe they are acting on those recommendations. We await the conclusion of this matter,” says Thabo Masebe, Gauteng Provincial Government Spokesperson.