Home » Articles Posted by Chuma Nobanda (Page 3)

Author Archives: Chuma Nobanda

Patricia-de-Lille
De Lille concerned about death threats against North West National Administrator
16 January 2020, 2:13 PM

Public Works Minister Patricia de Lille says she is concerned about continued death threats against the National Administrator that is deployed to the corruption-plagued North-West department, as a national intervention.

Over 150 contracts are under review and have been handed over to the Special Investigative Unit, while many others are with the Hawks.

The administrator has confirmed that he was threatened with guns at the offices and a case was opened. De Lille is visiting the province to assess progress in her intervention.

“There will be push back because people want to loot and steal but we have to just bite the bullet and we have to make sure we continue to clean up government. I am worried about him, he has a clear track record and we just have to give him the necessary protection,” says De Lille.

SAA warns of flight cancellations and delayed salary payments
16 January 2020, 1:55 PM

South African Airways (SAA) might be forced to suspend some flights and delay salary payments if the government doesn’t come up with a plan soon to provide the R2 billion it promised the airline last month.

State-owned SAA was placed under business rescue last month in an effort to save the company and 10 000 related jobs. At the time it was promised R2 billion from government and another R2 billion from lenders.

Unions briefed by the specialists appointed to turnaround the national carrier were told on Wednesday that the government had not yet been able to provide its portion of the funds and that the R2 billion from lenders had been exhausted.

National Transport Movement President Mashudu Raphetha says SAA’s business rescue practitioners need clarity from government on the R2 billion of promised funding by the 19th of this month.

Raphetha said, “Finance Minister Tito Mboweni said that the money for SAA will be found in time. I’m not sure if he’s holding thumbs like what the rest of us should be thinking. But, they really, really need that money. According to news reports, the R2 billion that came from external lenders has already been burnt through.”

He adds, “They’ve spoken to unions, there’s probably going to be an issue in paying salaries if government funding doesn’t come through.”

2019 DBE Matric pass rate at 81.3%  
7 January 2020, 6:47 PM

Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga has announced that the 2019 DBE matric pass rate is 81.3%, with an improvement of 3.1 percentage points.

 

The Free State has retaken its position as the top province with 88.4%, followed by Gauteng with 87.2% and the North West 86.8%.

KwaZulu-Natal has 81.3%, the Western Cape 82.2%, the Eastern Cape and the Northern Cape 76.5%, Mpumalanga 83.3% and Limpopo with the lowest at 73.2%.

No province has achieved less than 70% in the pass rate.

Motshekga officially announced the results in Midrand, Johannesburg, on Tuesday.

Over 790 000 learners countrywide sat for last year’s national senior certificate exams.

Watch Live the full 2019 DBE Matric Results: 

Ace Magashule
ANC’s January 8 statement will focus on hope for the unemployed: Magashule
6 January 2020, 8:16 PM

African National Congress (ANC) Secretary-General Ace Magashule says 2020’s January 8 statement will be about reviving the hopes of South Africans who are unemployed and living in poverty.

He was reacting to questions to the media about the message of 2020’s event.

Magashule’s engagement with the media was preceded by the ANC’s NEC statement on a tribute to the late business icon Richard Maponya.

Most members of the NEC are already in the province ahead of this Saturday’s January 8 statement which party President Cyril Ramaphosa will deliver.

Magashule explains the significance of the statement.

“Today, obviously the business it’s about January 8 statement. It’s about going out from tomorrow, doing work on the ground, giving our people the message of hope, wishing them all the best of luck in 2020; those who are unemployed; those who live under poverty. We are still going to resuscitate their spirits, souls and ensure that as we move into this year our gear is at the top and the national officials will be going to different places together with NEC members,” says Magashule.

Watch the video below for more on the story:

England
England on top of as Proteas chase mammoth target
6 January 2020, 8:12 PM

England remain the favourites to win the second cricket Test against South Africa at Newlands in Cape Town after having set the hosts a mammoth victory target of 438 runs.

The English declared their innings closed soon after lunch on day four on 391 for the loss of eight wickets. A determined Proteas side managed to get to stumps on 126 for two, but still trail by 312 runs.

England was already in the driving seat overnight, ending day three on 218 for the loss of four wickets, a lead of 262 runs. To the dismay of Proteas fans, it didn’t get any better for the hosts on the morning of the fourth day at Newlands despite a new ball.

The opening session belonged to England’s batsmen. All-rounder Ben Stokes, most likely given the license by his skipper Joe Root, was in a belligerent mood.

Taking the fight to a despondent South African bowling attack, Stokes clubbed his 21st test half-century from just 34 deliveries.

Opener Dom Sibley, who’s been the anchor for the visitors, also scored more freely and recorded his maiden Test century with a boundary.

The pair shared in a 92 run fifth-wicket stand before spinner Keshav Maharaj finally made a breakthrough with the scalp of Stokes for 72.

Fast bowlers Kagiso Rabada and Anrich Nortje also pitched in with a wicket each. Rabada accounted for Ollie Pope and Nortje for Jos Butler but the English went into the lunch break still firmly in control on 375 for seven and a commanding lead of 421 runs.

Maharaj claimed his second wicket with his first delivery on the other side of the break, dismissing Sam Curran for 13. Root declared their innings closed a few overs later on 391 for eight, setting the Proteas a record victory target of 438 runs.

Sibley finished unbeaten on 133, his best performance in Test cricket so far. With plenty of time still left in this game and looking to make a match of it, South Africa’s openers Pieter Malan and Dean Elgar made a solid start to their second innings.

The pair shared in a 46-run opening stand safely navigating their team to tea. Malan was on 23, Elgar on 21 and the Proteas still needed a further 392 runs for victory.

Part-time spinner Joe Denly eventually made the breakthrough for the tourists in the final session, albeit a somewhat controversial one, as Elgar was given out caught behind for 34.

Malan continued to apply himself now partnering Zubayr Hamza, the opener went on to notch up his maiden Test half-century on debut. The pair put on a 52 run second-wicket partnership before James Anderson was brought back into the attack removing Hamza for 18.

Malan went to stumps unbeaten on 63 while the Proteas ended the day on 126 for two still 312 runs behind,  but still very much in the match.

Weather

 

SABC © 2020