Home » Articles Posted by Skhangiwe Mthiyane

Author Archives: Skhangiwe Mthiyane

Mabuza pledges 1.1 billion for Vaal River cleanup
14 September 2019, 8:36 AM

Deputy President David Mabuza says R1.1 billion will be injected into the Sedibeng Regional Sewer Scheme in Sebokeng on the Vaal to prevent further spillage of sewerage into the Vaal River.

He says he is unhappy with the progress of the building of the treatment plant. The project at the plant had been suspended by locals who were promised jobs by former Water and Sanitation Minister Nomvula Mokonyane.

This week Mabuza addressed angry residents outside the sewer project and committed to a meeting with the Deputy Minister of Water and Sanitation, Pamela Tshwete,  on Monday to address their concerns.

Mabuza says he will return to the area in two weeks to monitor progress.

“We need to move a bit faster. The capacity that this treatment plant can handle is very low. We need to fix a lot of things before its 100% functional. Of couse there are still spillages in the household that must be fixed. The contractor has been appointed, the contractor should start very soon. I think we are going to see more and more progress. We are going to release some money to support them to do their work.”

Bathabile Dlamini
Bathabile Dlamini calls for tolerance from activists groups
13 September 2019, 12:47 PM

African National Congress Women’s (ANCWL) League president Bathabile Dlamini has appealed for tolerance from activist groups protesting against gender-based violence in Sandton, north of Johannesburg.

Dlamini and a group of ANCWL members clad in ANC regalia received a cold reception from some of the activists gathered outside the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.

The protesters from groups working on gender-based violence wants big businesses to come on board and help fund initiatives aimed at fighting the scourge.

Dlamini has called on the organisations to collectively work towards a speedy response to challenges facing women.

WATCH BELOW:

Serial rapist Tshepo Mokwena given four life terms
13 September 2019, 12:30 PM

The Temba Magistrate’s Court north of Pretoria has sentenced the Hammanskraal serial rapist, Tshepo Mokwena, to four life sentences.

Mokwena has 14 days in which to appeal the sentences. Mokwena attacked and raped young and old women using the Babelegi Bridge between 2006 and 2014.

He was arrested after being on the run for seven years.

Magistrate Edmond Humphreys described him as heartless and someone who deserves to be completely removed from society.

One of his victims, Dineo Makhubela, says she feels relieved that Mokwena will be away forever.

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT- Judgement in Dros rape trial to be delivered on Monday
12 September 2019, 12:39 PM

Judgment in the Dros Rape case will be delivered on Monday next week, this after the parties presented their closing arguments in the High Court in Pretoria on Thursday.

Nicholas Ninow admitted to raping the then seven-year-old girl in the toilets of a Dros Restaurant in Pretoria in September last year.

Ninow admitted to being in possession of drugs and defeating the ends of justice. He pleaded not guilty to a charge of assault.

State advocate Dora Ngobeni argued that because Ninow didn’t testify, the evidence of the state witnesses and especially the eight-year-old girl must stand.

The victim said she was using the toilet when Ninow entered and raped her.

Ninow was found allegedly half dressed with the little girl in a toilet cubicle in the restaurant after she called for help.

A doctor’s report indicated her private parts were swollen, bruised and torn.

Ngobeni told the court that Ninow went to the restaurant with the intention of having sex with someone regardless of whether that person was a child.

Self-confessed rapist Ninow’s legal representative, Herman Alberts, told the court that the fact that he sat at a table close to the children’s playing area, does not indicate that he was preying on the children.

He asked the court to accept his client’s version that he acted on impulse when he raped the victim.

 

More foreign nationals fearing attacks flee SA
12 September 2019, 12:24 PM

Another group of foreign nationals fleeing the violent attacks in Gauteng is leaving South Africa. Almost 100 Zimbabwean nationals who’ve been living in community halls in Katlehong in Ekurhuleni are being sent to their country of origin.

Earlier about 153 Mozambican nationals also left in three buses from a hall also in Katlehong.

The foreign nationals were displaced after they fled from their homes at the Mandela informal settlement and Nhlapo section following violent attacks in Ekurhuleni last week.

98 Zimbabwean nationals are now going through their final documentation processes with Home Affairs officials at the hall in Katlehong before they board the buses that will be taking them back home.

Their belongings have already been loaded onto trailers and some can be seen bidding farewell to their loved ones who have chosen to remain behind.

Officials from the City of Ekurhuleni are also on hand, and have been dishing out food parcels and clothing to the women and children as they prepare to make their long journey to the Beit Bridge border post and into Zimbabwe.

Weather

 

SABC © 2019