Maile expresses concern following Tshwane special council meeting chaos
17 January 2020, 3:15 PM
Gauteng Co-operative Governance MEC Lebogang Maile says he is concerned about the chaos that took place at the City of Tshwane‘s special council meeting. The meeting descended into chaos after the council did not agree on the order of the agenda.
Maile says the behaviour of councillors showed total disregard for the interests of Tshwane residents.
Related video below:
DA does site visit at North West school to check readiness
17 January 2020, 3:10 PM
The Democratic Alliance (DA) in the North West has raised concerns about the safety of learners at schools. The party says it also found no learners or teachers at the Mamoratwa Combined School in Ottosdal during their site visit to check on the school’s readiness.
The school was closed by the Department of Education at the end of last year because they said it was not economical to run. DA spokesperson on Education, Gavin Edwards says they found a group of angry parents who say they were not informed that their children will be relocated to another school.
“Putting them in a school they did not know or expect, putting them back in a bus and then driving them back to this point, where they get off a bus and get traumatised further by walking home in the dark at 6, 7 o’clock in the evening, these kids are only six or seven years old. I mean this is causing not only stress to the parents but severe emotional trauma to the children as well. (It is) not a great thing to experience.”
More than 430 000 applications approved for NSFAS: Nzimande
He says those that have not secured a space will in the meantime be referred to the Central Applications Clearing House for assistance.
Nzimande was briefing the media in Pretoria on his department’s readiness for the current academic year.
“Now, in the 2020 applications, NSFAS has received a record-breaking number of applications by end of November 2019. More than 500 000 first time ever applications of which the year before it was about 400 929, which means the applications are up by 26%. These were received by applicants from across the country.”
Lesotho’s first lady still at large
16 January 2020, 9:04 PM
Lesotho’s first lady Maesaea Thabane is still at large. A warrant of arrest has been issued against her. Prime Minister Tom Thabane has meanwhile succumbed to political pressure to retire from his position.
Eighty-year-old Thabane is accused of shielding his wife who faces a murder charge over the Prime Minister’s first wife Lipolelo Thabane in 2017. South Africa’s special envoy, former cabinet minister Jeff Radebe and Deputy Intelligence Minister Zizi Kodwa, met with the Prime Minister earlier on Thursday and he is said to have indicated his intention to step down.
Radebe says they support the coalition government as it works out all the legal processes to follow.
“As the President has indicated we support all the measures and decisions that the right honourable Prime Minister and the people of Lesotho are making and South Africa is ever ready to put its shoulder to the wheel because this is what a good neighbour does.”
SABC News foreign editor, Sophie Mokoena sheds more light on the issue: