Home » Articles Posted by Bomkazi Malobola (Page 8)

Author Archives: Bomkazi Malobola

‘W Cape region continues to suffer from factional battles’
3 August 2019, 6:55 PM

African National Congress (ANC) veteran Ben Turok says the party’s Western Cape region is still suffering from factional battles.

He argues that this continues to render its structures in the province dysfunctional.

Turok was reacting to the disbandment of the Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) by the ANC National Executive Committee (NEC).

Turok says the party has the capacity to recover from these factional set-backs.

The Western Cape is run by the Democratic Alliance.

The NEC has resolved to send its deployees to the province, to set-up proper structures before the 2021 local government election.

Ben Turok says: “The main problem of the ANC in the Western Cape is that over the years it did not become a mass movement, did not root itself properly.”

An interim provincial committee will be established to implement the process of renewal and rebuilding of party structures.

Analysts say this might, however, be too little too late.

Political analyst Keith Gottchalk says:”They will have to work hard and fast to get a working and dynamic provincial leadership, before the 2021 electioneering is on us.”

To add to its political woes, alliance partner, the SACP is calling for an investigation into the misuse of election funds, and an immediate suspension of those implicated.

Related video click below:

Libya to shut down three migrant detention centres
3 August 2019, 5:20 PM

Libya plans to shut down three migrant detention centres in the country following deadly shipwrecks on the Mediterranean at the end of July.

According to the United Nations, July has seen the deadliest shipwrecks involving migrants to Libya this year.  On July 25, a boat carrying migrants from North African countries capsized after setting off from Libyan shores trying to reach Europe.

A total of 150 migrants from Eritrea, Sudan, Egypt and Libya are feared dead or missing in the Mediterranean.

Following the tragedy, Libyan authorities have decided to shut down three migrant centres in the west.  “We live with political division. We have two governments, one in the east and the other in the west. Our south unfortunately, is wide open for anyone to enter, because of that political war. The migrant problem is much bigger than the current capabilities of both governments.

There is legislation to regulate this issue, but without a strong unified government we won’t be able to prevent migrants from reaching Libya’s shores,” said Saleh Feheima, member of Migrants and Displaced Committee of Libyan Parliament.

One of the few things both rival governments in Libya agree on, is to resolve the migrants crisis they have.

With a struggling economy since 2011, the country cannot afford to host more migrants.  “There are Libyan authorities that have been working to limit the migrants. It is in the interests to European sides as well as the Libyan side.

They are provided with shelter, food and other resources which is a huge burden on the people of Libya,” said Mohamed Amer, member of Libyan Parliament.

ANC councillor in Mogalakwena Municipality laid to rest
3 August 2019, 4:05 PM

The African National Congress (ANC) councillor who was shot and killed in the Mogalakwena Local Municipality in Mokopane in Limpopo has been laid to rest at Moshate village on Saturday.

Councillor Valtyn Kekana, who was also the chairperson of the Municipal Public Accounts Committee, was about to release a report on financial irregularities in the municipality when he was gunned down last week.

Thousands of mourners paid their last respects to the 54-year-old ANC councillor.

Amid renewed political infighting in the ANC in the Mogalakwena sub-region, councillor Kekana and sub-regional secretary, 32-year-old Ralph Kanyane were shot and killed while sitting inside their car last Tuesday.

Kekana’s son Lehlogonolo Maringa says: “Whatever you want to call it, my father was slain to death, he was brutally murdered. I want to tell his murderers that I forgive you for murdering my father, I forgive you, and I wish you no harm but peace.”

ANC Provincial Secretary Soviet Lekganyane says the party’s provincial and national leadership must decide on the future of the Waterberg Regional Executive Committee (REC) and the Mogalakwena municipality following the killings which are believed to be politically motivated.

“We have the regional committee here which cannot be exonerated from the maladministration and the mal-governance which is taking place at the municipality. I can tell you this REC is vicariously liable for the development at the municipality.”

SA Communist Party (SACP) Waterberg regional secretary David Makhafola says the fight against corruption at Mogalakwena Municipality must continue to keep the spirit of Kekana and Kanyane alive.

The killings of Kekana and Kanyane brings to four the number of ANC members who have died due to infighting at the municipality.

They include former Chief Whip Leka Lekalakala, and Madimetja Pale, who were gunned down in 2005 and 2014 respectively.

No arrests have been made yet in the previous two shootings and also in the recent ones.

The Mogalakwena sub-region is known for instability due to political infighting by ANC members.

WATCH RELATED VIDEO:

PSL logo
SABC apologises for no live broadcast of PSL games
3 August 2019, 3:20 PM

Acting SABC COO, Craig Van Rooyen says the public broadcaster would like to apologise to all South Africans for not securing a PSL broadcast sub-licence from Supersport – but the broadcaster has to make decisions that are financially viable.

The SABC says no agreement has been reached with Supersport regarding the broadcast of PSL matches.

This means that the soccer games will not be carried live by the public broadcaster.

The SABC says in a statement that Supersport expected the SABC to pay R280 million for 144 matches over a period of five years but the public broadcaster would only have earned around R10 million from the broadcasts.

The SABC says it has incurred a loss of R1.3 billion in the last five years relating to the broadcast of PSL matches.

The public broadcaster says it is committed to entering into contracts that are financially sound and sustainable for the SABC.

Bheki Cele
Cele pays last respects to Sam Meyiwa
3 August 2019, 2:55 PM

Police Minister, Bheki Cele, is among those paying their last respects to Sam Meyiwa, the father of slain football star Senzo Meyiwa.

The funeral service is currently underway in Umlazi, south of Durban.

The 67-year-old died last week following a long illness.

Before his death Meyiwa made an impassioned plea to police to find his son’s killers.

Senzo was killed in 2014 during a botched robbery at a house in Vosloorus in Johannesburg.

Related video click below:

Weather

 

SABC © 2019