Home » Articles Posted by Celestine Hendricks

Author Archives: Celestine Hendricks

Ramaphosa to respond to Mkhwebane’s findings on Sunday
21 July 2019, 2:20 PM

President Cyril Ramaphosa will on Sunday at 6pm respond to Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane’s finding that he deliberately misled Parliament on the R500 000 donation received from Bosasa for his 2017 ANC Presidency campaign.

In a report, Mkhwebane found that Ramaphosa had violated the Executive Members Ethics Code and has called for him to be disciplined by Parliament.

Report Below:

The President is expected to announce whether he will take the Public Protector’s report on judicial review.

It is likely that Ramaphosa will reiterate the statements he presented to Mkhwebane in response to her preliminary report on the matter.

Ramaphosa has said that he did not know about the Bosasa donation at the time of answering in Parliament as there had been an agreement with the CR17 campaign managers that they would not disclose the identities of funders.

Additionally, Mkhwebane’s investigation is unlawful as the scope of her work concerns the improper exercise of public powers – an area that does not relate to the funding operations of the CR17 campaign.

The President has also asserted that he has not violated the Executive Member’s Ethics Code as he did not have any personal claim or say over the donations received.

President’s response below:

 

Click on the video below: 

Ramaphosa encourages the youth to emulate late struggle stalwart Isaac Maphoto
21 July 2019, 12:45 PM

President Cyril Ramaphosa has encouraged the youth to emulate late struggle stalwart and military veteran Isaac ‘Bra Ike’ Maphoto, saying it is important to overcome the ills of society.

The 88-year-old passed away last weekend after a long illness.

Ramaphosa delivered the eulogy during the special official funeral service at Polokwane cricket stadium in Limpopo.

He says. “Let us emulate his commitment and love to education. In bidding farewell to a giant of the liberation struggle, I call on all our people especially the youth to pick up the spear that has fallen. Theirs was a battle against the forces of racism. Let us strive and fight with equal measure to overcome the ills of our society today. We must emulate his example of humility and voluntarism.”

Click on the video below: 

SABC-News-actors-speaking-at-Comic-Con.png
Marvel reveals next star-studded superhero movies at Comic-Con
21 July 2019, 12:06 PM

Marvel unveiled its bumper slate of new superhero movies Saturday, wheeling out a who’s who of Hollywood stars and prompting a collective meltdown at Comic-Con as it ended frenzied speculation over the most lucrative franchise in film history.

Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek and Rachel Weisz were brought on stage in San Diego to join Marvel film stalwarts such as Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman in the upcoming and sure to be multi-billion-grossing movies.

“I can spend 90 minutes talking about what we’ve done or I can spend some time talking about what we’re about to do,” said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, drawing rapturous screams from thousands packed into the world’s largest pop-culture fan convention.

Giant screens in Hall H then revealed a timeline of forthcoming films and television shows scheduled for the two years including new outings for popular characters such as Thor, Black Widow, Doctor Strange and Loki.

Feige also confirmed sequels to “Black Panther,” “Guardians of the Galaxy,” and “Captain Marvel” without providing details.

He finished the show – the most anticipated of the four-day event – by announcing that Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali will front a “Blade” reboot.

The Marvel films have collectively grossed over $22 billion at the global box office.

The studio’s most successful film “Avengers: Endgame” is set to overtake James Cameron’s “Avatar” as the highest grossing movie of all time “in a matter of days,” said Feige.

Jolie and Hayek will front ensemble film “The Eternals” in November 2020, which will feature the franchise’s first deaf superhero.

It will be followed in February 2021 by “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,” the first Marvel superhero film to be led by an Asian actor.

Mega-budget shows to air on Disney+, the new streaming service from Marvel’s parent company, will include “Wandavision” starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany, and Tom Hiddlestone’s “Loki.”

Marvel’s next round of new films will kick off with Johansson’s “Black Widow” in May next year. Early footage showed Johansson’s character battling with her sister in a Budapest apartment building.

Later in 2020, Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan will reprise their roles for “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.”

Benedict Cumberbatch will also return for “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” in May 2021.

Feige additionally teased the arrival of other popular comic characters, saying there was “no time to talk about” productions of “Fantastic Four” and “Mutants” – seemingly references to franchises acquired by Disney in its purchase of 21st Century Fox including the popular “X-Men” films.

Cricket World Cup final umpire admits ‘error’: report
21 July 2019, 11:18 AM

The umpire who awarded England six runs from a freak overthrow in the last over of the World Cup final has admitted he made an “error” and should have given one run fewer, a report said on Sunday.

A throw to the stumps deflected off the bat of a diving Ben Stokes as he tried to complete a second run and raced to the boundary, with Sri Lankan umpire Kumar Dharmasena awarding six.

Three balls later the scores at 50 overs were tied as England reached 241 all out replying to New Zealand’s 241-8.

It took the nail-biting final to a Super Over which again was tied, but England lifted the trophy by virtue of having scored more boundaries.

Critics, including former leading umpire Simon Taufel, said England should have been awarded five runs, not six, as the batsmen had not crossed for the second run at the moment the ball was thrown.

Former Sri Lankan Test player Dharmasena told the Sunday Times he did not have the benefit of television replays which showed the batsmen had not crossed.

“I agree that there was an error of judgement when I see it on TV replays now,” Dharmasena, who was umpiring the final with South Africa’s Marais Erasmus, told the local Sunday Times.

“But we did not have the luxury of TV replays at the ground and I do not regret the decision I made.”

Dharmasena said he signalled six after consulting the other match officials. “So, I did consult the leg umpire (Erasmus) through the communication system which is heard by all other umpires and the match referee,” he told the newspaper.

“While they cannot check TV replays, they all confirmed that the batsmen have completed the second run. This is when I made my decision.”

Taufel had told Fox Sports Australia the umpires made a “clear mistake” as the batsmen had not crossed for their second run.

But the Australian also defended the match umpires, who he said had to make a complicated judgement and said it would be “unfair” to say the decision altered the outcome of the tournament as it was impossible to know what would have happened in the final balls had five been awarded.

Female suicide bomber kills six in northwest Pakistan
21 July 2019, 11:05 AM

A female suicide bomber killed six people, including two policemen, in Pakistan’s restive northwest on Sunday in an attack claimed by the Taliban, officials said.

The attack happened at the entrance of a hospital in Kotlan Saidan village on the outskirts of the northwestern city of Dera Ismail Khan.

District police chief Salim Riaz told AFP that police were helping move the bodies of two of their colleagues who had been shot dead by militants on Saturday when the suicide bomber struck.

“The female bomber, aged around 28 years, came on foot and blew herself up, killing two policemen and four civilians and wounding 13 others,” he said.

The injured included eight policemen and five civilians.

Another local police official, Malik Habib, confirmed the attack and casualty figures and said officers later recovered the mutilated head of the bomber.

Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan spokesman Muhammad Khurasani claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement sent to local media.

Pakistan has seen an improvement in security in recent years, but low-level attacks are still carried out with devastating regularity – often targeting security forces in the northwest and the tribal regions bordering Afghanistan.

Weather

 

SABC © 2019