SA Rugby and Springboks coach Allister Coetzee have parted ways.
According to the Springboks twitter account. SA Rugby will manage the responsibilities of the Bok coach until the coaching and management group for 2018 is confirmed later this month.
BREAKING: SA Rugby had reached an agreement with Allister Coetzee to part ways with immediate effect. The Rugby Department of SA Rugby will manage the responsibilities of the Bok coach until the coaching and management group for 2018 is confirmed later this month.
The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) says it expects police to arrest former Gauteng Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu when she appears at the Life Esidimeni Arbitration hearings in Parktown, Johanneburg on Monday morning.
The party opened criminal cases against Mahlangu and senior department officials as well as Gauteng Premier David Makhura in February last year over the Esidimeni tragedy.
Acting EFF Gauteng chairperson Mandisa Mashego has expressed disappointment that no one has been arrested despite all the evidence emerging at the hearings.
“Our biggest disappointment is that Qedani was allowed to flee the country, while there were cases implicating her directly, for complicity in the murder of 143 mentally-ill patients. I expect police to be here to make an arrest. I also expect for her to make very honest disclosures. The complicity in this case goes right up to the premier. Unfortunately he cannot get away with saying that he didn’t know.”
The hearings resumed on Thursday last week, following a six-week adjournment.
Mahlangu’s appearance follows Friday’s revelation by Deputy Director-General for Mental Health Services in Gauteng, Hannah Jacobus.
Jacobus revealed for the first time that it was Mahlangu who made the decision to terminate the department’s long-standing contract with Life Esidimeni.
One hundred and forty three mentally ill patients died after transferred to unlicensed NGOs.
Mahlangu is expected to face tough questions over the Department’s decision to abruptly end the contract it had with Life Esidimeni for about 36 years, and take patients to NGOs who neither had the capacity not the expertise to care for them.
She also has to answer why expert advice was ignored.
Senior departmental officials, who testified before Mahlangu, have maintained the decision was taken to save costs.
But that has been questioned by the lawyers for the families.
Some family members have also expressed concern that Mahlangu may not reveal the truth. They say their previous personal encounters with her were unpleasant, describing her as arrogant and dismissive.
However, her presence at the hearings will come as a relief to some who had said her failure to appear would render the whole arbitration process useless.
Sylvester the lion marks first anniversary in new home
21 January 2018, 8:29 PM
The infamous Lion called “Sylvester” or “Spook” has settled down in a concession area of Addo Elephant National Park in the Eastern Cape.
This week marks his first anniversary in his new home.
He became well known for escaping from the Karoo National Park on more than one occasion.
It’s been a year since the dramatic search for this king of the jungle, his capture, and subsequent relocation to the Eastern Cape.
Jeandre Nothnagel head ranger at Kuzuko Lodge and Game Reserve says he is doing well. “The transition went well – he is more relaxed and not jittery like before. He runs the show here.”
On the menu is a large Eland, a meal that will last him two to three days.
His human parents believe his two “great escapes” from the Karoo National Park were justified.
Gerhard de Lange of Kuzuko Lodge says Sylvester was scared of two older lions at the Karoo National Park and that he was an ousted lion. “He never had a pack. He was in danger, and that’s why he had to flee. He had to escape or be killed.”
Cupid’s arrow has also found its mark.
Catharina De Lange of Kuzuko Lodge & Game Reserve says: “He is happy. He found love and we are hopeful that soon we will be welcoming little cubs.”
N West govt applies for official provincial funeral for Mangope
21 January 2018, 8:01 PM
The North West Provincial Government has applied to the Presidency for an official provincial funeral for former Bophuthatswana leader Kgosi Lucas Mangope.
The province’s Director General and two MEC’s visited the Gaetsho palace of the royal Mangope family in Motswedi village near Zeerust on Sunday morning.
They met with the family and offered their condolences and discussed the funeral arrangements.
The 94-year-old died at a nearby hospital on Thursday evening after having been rushed there earlier that day.
Director-General Dr Lydia Sebego, Local Government and Human Settlements MEC, Ms Fenny Gaolaolwe, and MEC for Culture, Arts and Traditional Affairs (CATA), Ms Ontlametse Mochware expressed their commitment to give Mr Mangope a dignified funeral.
“We have hence applied to the Presidency to give Re Kgosi Lucas Mangope a provincial official funeral, Category 1. We are however still waiting for their response. Upon receipt thereof, we will work together with the family to bury Re Kgosi Lucas Mangope on January 27 at 06:00, here in Motswedi,” says Mochware.
Kgosi Mangope was rushed to hospital on Thursday, about a week after having been prescribed antibiotics and vitamins by a doctor.
His nephew Bathoeng Mangope says he was called by the family…. “When I got here, I found them here. I checked the vitals BP, pulse and respiration and they were not satisfactory. So we consulted and decided to rather give him an opportunity, if we can, to let him live and so we decided to take him to the hospital. So when we got to the hospital, the doctor came and unfortunately declared him dead.”
A memorial service is scheduled to take place on Wednesday.
SIU to investigate North West Public Works, Roads and Transport
21 January 2018, 5:56 PM
The Special Investigative Unit, SIU, has confirmed that President Jacob Zuma has signed a proclamation for the unit to investigate the North West Department of Public works, roads and transport and its senior officials, for corruption.
At least 150 companies are said to have been awarded tenders irregularly.
Other corrupt activities include the multi-million tenders for scholar transport and the Expanded Public Works Programme, EPWP.
SIU spokesperson, Nazreen Pandor says investigations will start this week.
“A proclamation was signed, allowing us to investigate affairs at the Public Works department.At this stage it would be difficult to quantify, but we are looking at more than 150 companies that are involved, and we are also looking at procurement of goods. We are also looking at payments made in relation to the EPWP, and as well as matters relating to conflict of interest. It’s quite an extensive investigation.”