Home » Articles Posted by Busisiwe Etenda (Page 2)

Author Archives: Busisiwe Etenda

Raymond Zondo
Zondo describes threats against lawyers, witnesses as unacceptable
16 July 2019, 11:09 AM

Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo has described threats made against lawyers and those testifying at the Commission of Inquiry into State Capture as unacceptable.

This after Former President Jacob Zuma told the Commission that his Personal assistant was phoned by an unknown person, who threatened to kill Zuma, his children and his legal counsel.

Zuma is testifying for a second day at the Commission in Parktown, Johannesburg. On Tuesday, he dropped big names including that of ex-ministers Ngoako Ramatlhodi and Siphiwe Nyanda, journalist Redi Tlhabi, former President Thabo Mbeki and the late head of state, Nelson Mandela.

He labelled as an ‘exaggeration’ the term State Capture – saying it’s meant to enhance a narrative against him. Zuma also claimed that he has even survived attempts to poison and kill him.

Zondo says the fresh threats against Zuma are unacceptable, as those testifying are assisting the commission. Zondo adds that those testifying should not do amid death threats.

WATCH BELOW:

Dan Matjila
WATCH: PIC Inquiry
16 July 2019, 9:26 AM

Former PIC CEO Dan Matjila continues with his testimony on Tuesday.

Marc Batchelor
Mkhalele expresses his sadness over Batchelor’s death
16 July 2019, 9:22 AM

Former Orlando Pirates and Bafana Bafana midfielder Helman Mkhalele has expressed his sadness following the death of his former teammate Marc Batchelor.

The former soccer player and TV presenter was shot dead by unknown assailants outside his home in Johannesburg.

Two men on a motorbike allegedly shot Batchelor as he turned into the driveway of his home in Olivedale on Monday evening. The reason for the shooting is still unclear.

Mkhalele says what saddens him the most is that Batchelor died in gun violence.

Hannes du buisson
BEMAWU to oppose external restructuring team for SABC
16 July 2019, 9:02 AM

The Broadcasting, Electronic, Media and Allied Workers’ Union (BEMAWU) has vowed to oppose the appointment of an external restructuring team for the SABC.

The team, which will be led by a chief restructuring officer, is one of the preconditions for funding for the public broadcaster.

So far, retrenchments are not prescribed as part of Treasury’s preconditions. The SABC has also refuted reports that it will cut 33% of its staff and close some regional offices.

BEMAWU President, Hannes du Buisson, says the union has not been consulted about Treasury’s preconditions and has called on the SABC to clarify what the restructuring entails.

“There is restructuring in those preconditions. It could mean anything – it could mean retrenchments, we don’t know at this point it time. It seems as if some external team from the Department of Communications is going to move into the SABC – this is how we practically see this – and they are going to restructure the SABC and that is an absolute no, it can never happen. It creates a concern that the SABC is seemingly doing away with permanent workers, which they want to replace with freelance workers and that is something that we will never allow.”

Alan Winde
43 murders reported in Cape Town over weekend
16 July 2019, 8:05 AM

Western Cape Premier, Alan Winde says 43 murders have been reported in areas in and around Cape Town over the weekend despite a strong police presence in crime-ridden areas.

Twenty five of the victims were shot and killed while the others were stabbed. Police Minister, Bheki Cele announced last week that the SA National Defence Force (SANDF) will be deployed on the gang-infested Cape Flats but the plan has been delayed due to paperwork that still needs to be completed.

Winde says he committed himself at this weekend’s crime summit in Paarl to working with the SAPS to ensure that policing is a top priority.

“Provincial govenment will put all our departments at the disposal of finding safety in this province, every department will have some role in some way in coming to the party to make sure that we build safer communities, but we have also noted that we have not withdrawn our dispute we need to see action happening we need to see traction in this plan.”

WATCH RELATED VIDEO:

Weather

 

SABC © 2019